Book Club Experience

Recently, someone in my neighborhood started a book club and invited me to join. I run the book club at my library so I was really eager to attend one that I was not in charge of running. Because this was the first meeting of this book club there were only four of us that attended. The book chosen for this book club was The Serpent and the Wings of Night by Carissa Broadbent. There was a vote that happened in the book club's Facebook group prior to this meeting so that everyone had a say in what we read. The plan for the book club is to read a variety of genres so that we can cover a wide range of interests. We met at a local coffee shop to discuss the book. While we were at this meeting, after discussing the current month's book, we suggested books that we could read for next month's book club and chose the next meeting date. We did not suggest any fantasy novels so that we could do something different. Once we had all of our suggestions it was put up as a poll on Facebook so we could all vote on the one that we read next month.

The person that started the book club is actually a school librarian so I think I expected her to lead the discussion more than she did. She didn’t have any discussion questions which kind of made the beginning of the meet up just a little bit awkward. The person that started the book club brought her daughter and they were the only ones who knew each other. Me and the other girl there had never met each other or the other two girls that were there. It felt like myself and the other girl that attended (not the starter of the book club or her daughter) were the only ones that really kept the conversation going. I wouldn’t really say that either of us stole the spotlight by talking the most because if we weren’t talking there were some really long silences. I think every time there was a lull in the conversations both of us were trying to find something to say to keep things going. As someone who considers herself an introvert, it was kind of mentally draining to think of something to say so often. Since there weren’t any discussion questions prepared we just brought up anything that we thought was worth talking about in the book. Big plot points, twists, and characters were discussed but it wasn’t really organized. I think if there were more people there to contribute or discussion questions were prepared then it would have gone a little bit smoother. 

This was the first book club that I had attended outside of work and it was really interesting to see how different it was. When I run our library’s book club I always start by asking everyone if they liked the book or hated it, then I jump into discussion questions. I use the discussion questions to jump start the conversations and if we keep talking without the discussion questions then that is great and I don’t even ask them. Our book club is in person but patrons have the option of attending over zoom as well. The people that attend in person always talk more than those who attend over zoom. If the in person people have been talking a lot I try to specifically ask about the opinions of those over zoom so that everyone has a chance to participate. While I don’t necessarily think that the book club group that I attended needs to be as organized as the library book club, I do think having someone to lead the discussion is beneficial. I was really excited to attend a more casual book club but it wasn’t quite what I was expecting. I think if this book club grows and everyone starts getting more comfortable with each other then the conversation will really start flowing more naturally. 


Comments

  1. I have always loved the idea of book clubs, but have also been held back by just such as scenario as you mention - the potentially awkward long silences if there isn't a structure to the meeting (questions ready-at-hand to keep the conversation going) is such an embarrassing, uncomfortable prospect to me! (I cringe just thinking of it...)

    You said you and other participant, who didn't already know each other, ended up trying to keep the conversation going; do you feel it helped break the ice between you, making it easier to speak with someone you just met? Or was it even more difficult? Would you attend another session or club with this person, after this experience?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was honestly afraid of this happening too. And every time I am part of the few trying to keep a conversation going I can't believe it because I am not good at talking to people outside of work! I don't think it necessarily helped break the ice or anything. It was still kind of awkward. I'm going to try to go to the next few to see if it gets any better. If it doesn't then I might stop going. I'm hoping that we can pick up some more people or maybe all get comfortable enough with each other that everyone equally talks.

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry this experience was so awkward - like Maryanne this is something that's also held me back from book clubs in the past. I wonder if part of the situation was because of the informality of it, despite being started by another librarian? It makes me think that maybe as a school librarian, she might not have much experience with hosting book clubs and just wanted to be part of one? It'd be interesting to find out.

    I love that you start your own book clubs with a "did you love it or hate it" question. While I haven't attended book clubs outside of this assignment, I feel like that's an excellent way to get a healthy debate going because some people might have some really strong views one way or another. And because of that - did you love or hate The Serpent and the Wings of Night?? I'm invested in your opinion because I LOVED those books and can't wait for more in the Crowns of Nyaxia universe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right. She probably doesn't have much experience with book clubs being in a school environment. Which is definitely understandable. I guess I just heard librarian and assumed that it would be a little different so that is on me!
      I absolutely loved that book!! I currently have the second one at home and as soon as I finish the book I'm reading now (which is a Western for this class) I am diving into it! It definitely felt much darker than other books I've read. Not so much in content but in the overall mood. Like every house in every city felt like it was falling apart and every character you met was more evil than good. I couldn't put it down though. I want to talk about the ending but don't want to give anything away in case someone else wants to read it. All I will say is Oraya was NOT mad enough for me at the end of that book!

      Delete
    2. I'm so glad you loved it! Book 2 is just as good!!

      Delete
  3. As a fellow introvert, I would have died internally at the awkward silences, and everyone around me would have known it too because my facial expressions have no filter. The planning parts of the book club make a lot of sense, but is it always going to be in person? The "meeting" could happen in the Facebook group and a discussion about the book could happen over the course of the month instead of meeting in person. It might also alleviate the some of the awkwardness of a lull in conversation as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the plan for this book club is to always meet in person. I like the idea of that but if it continues on this way I would much prefer to have it online and discuss things that way!

      Delete
  4. I went to a neighborhood book club as well. I was lucky that we didn't have any uncomfortable silences since we knew each other so well. It turned more into a gossip fest than a book discussion but it was fun. I think the more times they meet, the members of the book club will loosen up and conversations will flow better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I'm hoping happens! I'm also hoping that since we're reading a different genre this time that we will get a few more people.

      Delete
  5. I'm sorry the book club was awkward! I always hate that feeling especially when joining a new club. I will say that I thought it was cool they used social media to vote on a new book. Otherwise it didn't sound very successful. But maybe it will be better next time if you decide to continue going.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've wondered if more informal book clubs are a little harder for folks to navigate that formal library book clubs where it's more obvious that a single person is supposed to take the lead when things get a little awkward. I agree that not all book clubs have to be so formal in order to work, but I think then the person "leading" the conversation needs to be the type that isn't afraid to step in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry you had such an awkward experience but it made for a good discussion in the comments! Hopefully next month it won't be so awkward. Maybe make a rule that everyone needs to bring two questions?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts