Week 6 Prompt - Integrated Advisory

 Promoting Horror Genre at a Library 

Horror is such a popular genre across all media. Whether it's books, movies, or video games, patrons are regularly looking for new recommendations. One way that we can showcase all of the titles that we have available at our library is to advertise some titles that we have in different mediums. Five Nights at Freddys is an extremely popular movie right now, so it would be a great time to show patrons that we can also get the graphic novel and the video game. This is also true for titles such as Resident Evil, The Last of US, and The Walking Dead. For titles that we have available in our own collection we could create displays that contain the book, movie, and video game of certain titles all together. For titles that may be ordered from other libraries or found on one of our online resources, we could create flyers for those titles like I have done below. These displays and flyers could help patrons explore new media while making sure that they are still consuming a story that they already love.


This can also be used across other genres as well. A “Page to Screen” display would give you a large number of titles in all genres to work with. You could also have a place in the library where you could have Read-A-Likes resources. Those could be printouts that have something along the lines of “If you liked the show
New Girl then try the book Josh and Hazel’s Guide to Not Dating”.  This would be a way to promote many of the movies, shows, books, and games that are available at the library. 


Comments

  1. Hi Allison,

    I really like that you used horror video games as the foundation to promote books and movies/tv shows! Some patrons may not know those stories have been expanded into different mediums and might be very happy to find other ways to stay in those worlds even longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually was talking to my husband while I was making that flyer to get ideas and he didn't know that a few of the video games were books/graphic novels. So I figured my hypothetical goal of showing people that they could have that story in multiple mediums was achieved!

      Delete
  2. Hi Allison!

    I think the idea of incorporating horror video game titles into your promotion of the genre is a great idea! I know for many that these game titles can be a gateway into different mediums of the genre (Five Nights at Freddy's, which you have included here, definitely stands out to me since the games have been a huge hit for nearly a decade now).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Five Nights at Freddy's is so popular at our library right now it was the first thing I thought of when I was thinking of horror movies! It also helps that my Teen Advisory Board was talking about it at one of our recent meetings. I actually didn't know it was a videogame though until my husband told me about it!

      Delete
  3. Allison,

    That's a fantastic flyer! Now I wish that there were more genres with an abundance of titles that span across book, film, and game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That you Sarah! I agree. It would be awesome to be able to make reference lists like this for all the genres!

      Delete
  4. I love love love this idea! I love how it incorporates so many different items. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts