Kirkus Review - The Unhoneymooners by Christina Lauren

Olive is unlucky. Her boyfriend breaks up with her, her roommate moves out of the apartment that Olive can't afford alone, and she gets laid off from her job all within a two month period. 

Olive's twin sister Ami is lucky. She wins theater tickets, free beer for a year, makeovers, books, and even a car. That's not including all the free stuff that she won to give herself the perfect wedding. 

Ami might have had all the luck Olive has lacked through their 32 years of life but that all changes when everyone attending Ami's wedding gets food poisoning from the (free) sea food buffet. The only two people to escape the nightmare is Olive and the best man/brother of the groom, Ethan. Even though Olive and Ethan hate each other, Ami and her new husband Dane talk both of them into going on their (also free) honeymoon to Maui in their place. The only downside: Ethan and Olive have to pretend to be the newly weds or else they will be charged for the honeymoon in full. What Olive and Ethan expect to be a relaxing vacation turns into a chaotic web of lies when they run into Olive's new boss for the job she was just hired for and Ethan's ex-girlfriend who left him with no explanation. The more time Olive and Ethan spend together, the more Olive realizes that the impression she first had of Ethan may have been entirely wrong. Through exciting excursions such as paintballing and snuba diving, Olive starts to let go of her pessimistic view on life and start to realize that maybe those "unlucky" moments in her life were exactly what she needed at the time.

The Unhoneymooners is such a fun read that will have you laughing at Olive and Ethan's banter and smiling at the new relationship that they are building. Readers who love The Hating Game will love this enemies-to-lovers/fake-dating romance!

Comments

  1. Very fun! I love how you described the book. This sounds like a great read and may even make a great movie! I can see Netflix or Hulu picking this up. Great job, I'm interested in reading it now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This really would make an awesome movie!! I'd 100% watch it if someone picked it up.

      Delete
  2. Wow, this book seems so fun! Your summary made me want to pick it up and start reading immediately. I've been loving romances with some wild and unhinged plots lately, and this plot seems just wacky enough for me right now. I love that you also included the tropes for this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allison,

    I have a strong aversion to the romance genre. I understand why people read it, but I'd rather have my eyes scooped out with a spoon than read romance myself. This is important to note, because your review made this book sound appealing to me! This is probably due to the "unhinged plot" Taylor noted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can definitely understand not liking romance books. Rom-coms are for sure my favorite thing to read though! I also love when someone finds that random book in a genre they don't normally read that they like! It would be awesome if this was a book like that!

      Delete
  4. I just listened to the "sequel" to this. Great job on your Kirkus review! It's fun and reads well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got through about half of the sequel but I didn't listen to it fast enough and it returned on me! I need to get it back and finish it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts