Week Three Prompt Response

 Patron: I am looking for a book by Laurell K. Hamilton. I just read the third book in the Anita Blake series and I can’t figure out which one comes next!

Recommendation: The fourth book of the Anita Blake series is The Lunatic Cafe. If you are interested in graphic novels at all, you could also check out the graphic novel version of this series! 




Patron: What have I read recently? Well, I just finished this great book by Barbara Kingsolver, Prodigal Summer. I really liked the way it was written, you know, the way she used language. I wouldn't mind something a bit faster paced though.


Recommendation: I would recommend reading Love and Ruin by Paula McLain. Love and Ruin has the same tones and writing style as Prodigal Summer but has a much faster pace. 





Patron: I like reading books set in different countries. I just read one set in China, could you help me find one set in Japan? No, not modern – historical. I like it when the author describes it so much it feels like I was there!


Recommendation: The Thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zoet by David Mitchell might be something you would enjoy. This novel takes place in Japan in 1799. Multiple reviews comment on how easy it is to get lost in Mitchell’s writing and transport yourself to the beautiful setting of Japan. 





Patron: I read this great mystery by Elizabeth George called Well-Schooled in Murder and I loved it. Then my dentist said that if I liked mysteries I would probably like John Sandford, but boy was he creepy I couldn't finish it! Do you have any suggestions?


Recommendation: I would recommend Blind Goddess by Anne Holt. Both Blind Goddess and Well-School in Murder have intricate plots and the same tone. While John Sandford novels tend to have darker tones, these should be lighter with more of a suspenseful feeling. 





Patron: My husband has really gotten into zombies lately. He’s already read The Walking Dead and World War Z, is there anything else you can recommend?


Recommendation: Cell by Stephen King has the same pacing and writing style as World War Z and the same themes as The Walking Dead. If you're in the mood for a graphic novel that is similar in tone to The Walking Dead, I would recommend I Am a Hero Omnibus by Kengo Hanazawa. Both of these works also have the same “band of survivors” theme. 





Patron: I love books that get turned into movies, especially literary ones. Can you recommend some? Nothing too old, maybe just those from the last 5 years or so.


Recommendation: Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens is a character driven novel that was made into a movie in 2022. If you’re in the mood for a novel turned into a TV series I would recommend Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus.






Patron: I love thrillers but I hate foul language and sex scenes. I want something clean and fast paced.


Recommendation: One Clean Shot by Danielle Girard and A Cry in the Dark by Jessica R. Patch are both good options for thrillers without language or sex scenes. 






How do I find my books?

I use a variety of resources to find my books. GoodReads, TikTok, and book lists available through my library are the most common resources that I use. Also, because I work at a library, word of mouth is also a common way that I find books to read. Patrons love recommending books when they return their most recent reads so there is never a shortage of recommendations from them. And lastly, because I work the front desk at my library I tend to find a ton of new reads just from checking in all of the new releases. If that is my duty for the day then I usually end up with a long list of books to add to my TBR. 


Comments

  1. I really relate to how you find new books to read. I work as a clerk at my library, so the vast majority of my job is just checking in/out materials. The four things that I have checked out from my library currently all came from seeing them get checked in. It is cool to have an organic way of discovering books. I find that I am reading very different things than I normally would now because of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit that I'm still not very good at reading things too different from my preferred genres, but there was one patron that returned the book Hollow Kingdom and kept telling me how much she loved it so I got the audiobook. I'm actually really liking it! I definitely wouldn't have picked it up on my own so I'm glad that I took a chance on it.

      Delete
  2. I love that you included the book covers! I think all the titles you picked sound like perfect fits - what resources did you use to select your books? Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have become a huge fan of NoveList (thanks to these assignments!) so that and Goodreads are probably my two biggest resources. However, any time I have a super specific topic I want the book to be about or if I'm not liking some of the results I will use Google to at least start the search.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts